To guide users update firmware on FWA-5070 in the field with ipmitool
Everyone who use FWA-5070 and need to upgrade firmware to latest version
With utility called ipmitool and Utilize HPM to upgrade F/W with following commands
Upgrading F/W with HPM via ipmitool is supported by the BMC. Two of the available IPMI interfaces are useful for HPM updates: "KCS" and ipmitool over lan (IOL) with RMCP+ protocol support. Compare to IOL, if updating firmware via KCS interface in local OS, that will take much longer time to complete the process especially updating BIOS firmware. So , if possible , upgrade firmware through ipmitool over lan is always recommended.
- ipmitool on local host (FWA-5070) and external machine
- FWA-5070 BMC ready (standby power was ON)
(1) Find physical Ethernet port to access BMC
User can get BMC IP address through command “ipmitool lan print <No.>” via KCS interface under quick start linux (QSL) or any bootable Linux OS w/ ipmitool installed.
* <No.> = 1 ~2 interface mapping is below
(2) Perform F/W upgrade from an External machine which connects to MGMT ports
Commands format will be followings
#ipmitool -I lanplus -H <BMC-IP> -U administrator -P advantech hpm upgrade <File.img> activate
Following Upgrade sequence is highly recommended if you need perform all of them
If there're multiple f/w need to be updated , following sequence is must to prevent any unexpected behavior after upgrade.
BMC --> BMC Bootloader --> FPGA or CPLD --> BIOS -->BIOS NVRAM*
* BIOS NVRAM contains lots of BIOS default settings and update this via hpm is also highly recommended even it should be automatically updated in New BIOS first successful boot.
- BMC bootloader:
# ipmitool -I lanplus -H BMCIP -U administrator -P advantech hpm upgrade bootloader.img activate
- BMC: Please run the following command twice for backup BMC.
# ipmitool -I lanplus -H BMCIP -U administrator -P advantech hpm upgrade bmc.img activate
- FPGA(or CPLD): Please soft reboot the system after the upgrade, then run the command again for backup FPGA.
# ipmitool -I lanplus -H BMCIP -U administrator -P advantech hpm upgrade fpga.img activate
- BIOS: Please soft reboot* the system after the upgrade, then run the command again for backup BIOS.
* If BIOS got ME , MRC changed ,"AC" power cycle would be required to reload PCH code , Advantech
representative will inform you in advance according to PCN
# ipmitool -I lanplus -H BMCIP -U administrator -P advantech hpm upgrade bios.img activate
# ipmitool -I lanplus -H BMCIP -U administrator -P advantech hpm upgrade NVRAM.img activate
- FW version Check:
# ipmitool -I lanplus -H BMCIP -U administrator -P advantech hpm check
Please sign in to leave a comment.