It list How to enable X710/X710/X722 SFP TX_disabled function by Linux i40e driver for customer reference,
For Advantech TSE, RBU AE, outsourcing service engineer(s) and End customer with the following knowledges :
- Linux and Ethernet troubleshooting experience
1. TX disable function means SFP module's TX port to disable laser signal after key-in "ifconfig down"
2. Some user monitors remote system's link status by Switch, when remote system 10 Gb port (X710/XL710/X722) & SFP module don't support Tx disable, the switch side always keep remote system Link status as ON after remote system side key-in ifconfig <NIC> down.
2.By Intel default setting, the X710/XL710/X722 network Link/speed LED always keep turn on after key-in ifconfig <NIC ID> down.
3. When remote system's needs to enable X710/XL710/X722 Tx disable function, it has to check following items.
3.1 SFP module needs to support TX disable,
3.2 X710/XL710/X722 NIC needs to key-in following command for set "link-down-on-close" as ON
# ethtool --set-priv-flags <NIC ID> link-down-on-close on
PS: The priv-flags setting will return to default after reboot or power-off system, suggesting customer makes a script to set priv-flags function.
4. Example: Set NMC-1011 port 1 to enable TX disable
4.1 Key-in following command to set NMC-1011 port 1 (NIC ID: b17p0) to enable TX disable
# ethtool --set-priv-flags b17p0 link-down-on-close on
4.2 key-in ifconfig <NIC ID> down command to set NMC-1011 port 1(NIC ID: b17p0) as down and check SFP module TX ports doesn't output signal.
# ifconfig b17p0 down
A. By Intel i40e Driver setting
A1. The phenomenon seems Intel Driver Limitation, when user needs to turn off X710/XL710 LED function after key-in “ifconfig ethX down”, Please look following readme link and refer readme command to set link-down-on-close Private Flag as on
Setting the link-down-on-close Private Flag
When the link-down-on-close private flag is set to "on", the port's link will
go down when the interface is brought down using the ifconfig ethX down command.
Use ethtool to view and set link-down-on-close, as follows:
ethtool --show-priv-flags ethX
ethtool --set-priv-flags ethX link-down-on-close [on|off]
B. By SFP module,
B1. SFP modules' FW specification supports TX_disable function, and it needs to key-in "specific PW" to enabled SFP FW's TX disable thought I2C BUS, but it is difficult to key-in "TX disable PW"
1）Load in the PW XX XX XX XX to A2H 0x7B~0x7E;
2) Set the A2H byte110 bit=1 to enable the soft_tx_disable function to shut down the laser
B1. It needs to customized SFP module's FW to support TX_disable function without key-in PW, it not, SFP TX port still output laser signal after key-in Ifconfig down command & execute Intel I40e driver steps.
B2. Following SFP modules are support TX disable,
1G SFP modules
|1G SFP||Vendor||Model name||Ethtool TX_disable test|
10G SFP modules
|10G SFP +||Vendor||Model name||Ethtool TX_disable test
(needs ethtool setting)
40G SFP module
|40G QSFP||Vendor||Model name||Ethtool TX_disable test
(needs ethtool setting)